Guidance for EU users of British Pharmacopoeia Chemical Reference Substances (BPCRS) in a no-deal Brexit
We would like to reiterate that the British Pharmacopoeia (BP) will continue to be part of the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency’s public health role in a no-deal Brexit.
The UK was a founding member of the Convention on the Elaboration of a European Pharmacopoeia and will continue to be a member of the European Pharmacopoeia (Ph. Eur) in any EU exit scenario, as the UK will continue to be a member of the Council of Europe (CoE) in its own right.
The BP values all our BPCRS (British Pharmacopoeia chemical reference substances) users and will continue to provide products and post-sale support of the highest standard to our users in the EU and across the world to help them demonstrate compliance with monographs of the BP.
We would like to provide advice to EU customers in the event of the UK leaving the EU without an agreement.
- If the UK leaves the EU without a withdrawal agreement (a no-deal scenario) then the UK will become a “third country”.
- This will mean that BPCRS imported from the UK into Europe may be subject to additional customs checks and may be subject to import duties.
- BPCRS are made under Delivery at Place (DAP) incoterms. The BP is responsible for the goods during transport until delivery. Ownership transfers to the buyer when the goods are available for unloading. The customer is responsible for import clearance and any applicable local taxes or import duties.
- Any local taxes or import duties will need to be paid by the customer in order to clear the goods through customs. Our courier(s) will be in contact with customers to arrange customs clearance is done as quickly as possible.
- UK goods will be considered as “non originating” goods under the preferential rules of origin.
What EU customers should do to prepare
- All EU Customers can continue to place orders via the BP website as usual.
- Ensure that your customer contact details are up to date on your website account. We will provide these details to our couriers and they will use these to contact you and clear shipments through customs.
- Make sure that you know how to contact your countries customs authorities and you understand the processes to pay any taxes or duties that may be due to clear your goods as smoothly as possible.
- For any questions please continue to contact our helpdesk at email@example.com.